Thursday, July 16, 2015

My BiFan Schedule for Day 8: Friday, July 24

I will start the morning with possibly my lightest fare of the festival, the Danish/German family superhero comedy Antboy: Revenge of the Red Fury. This sequel to last year's Antboy, which I haven't seen yet, sees the alter ego of the titular character thwarted by the new boy at school, while his heroic half faces a new costumed menace.



For my first afternoon matinee, I'm torn between two films screening at the same time. The first option is Why Horror?, a Canadian documentary that explores the psychology and popularity of horror films in many different countries.



The other option is director Sono (Cold Fish; Suicide Club) Sion's Japanese action horror movie Tag, in which murderous ghosts attack schoolgirls with high-powered weaponry. Sion will make a few guest appearances at the festival to introduce a mini-retrospective of his films.



For the second afternoon feature, I will watch Blood Moon,  a UK production set in Colorado of the wild west in the late 1800s that pits gunslingers on both sides of the law against skinwalkers --- shape-shifting monsters spoken of in Native American legends. This looks to be an interesting practical effects creature feature.



My evening offering is Takashi Miike's Japanese action/fantasy/yakuza/vampire mash-up Yakuza Apocalypse. If that sentence doesn't sell you on the movie, I'm not sure what will. Well, perhaps this trailer . . .








No comments:

Post a Comment